Skip to main content
Topic: Generator Won't Start (Read 1516 times) previous topic - next topic

Generator Won't Start

Hey guys, me again. I have been having this issue since getting my coach. Mike and I have checked most everything on the generator and it still will not start.  It's a Powertech 8kw / Isuzu 3LB1.

Things we've checked so far:
Fuel solenoid valve - works fine
Changed both fuel filters, yes it is getting fuel to the fuel rail
Pulled injector rail cover - looks good inside
Installed 3 new NGK glow plugs
Installed new fuel lines from tank.

Spins over fine, just doesn't even try to run. Before we pull the injectors, is there anything else we can do or check?

Thanks

Zack & Ginny Methvin
1998 U270 36' WTFE
Build# 5242 (E-25 code)
FMCA# 548390
Longview, Texas

Re: Generator Won't Start

Reply #1
12v on glow plug cable to pre-heat cylinders?  Only takes fuel & air to run and you have checked that.

Reply #2
Did you check you have current going to the glow plugs. Crack the fuel lines at the injectors and
check that you have spurts of fuel coming out when the engine is turning over. Sometimes the
fuel lines need to be blead.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #3
Four things are needed for for a diesel engine to run...fuel, air, compression, and it must be in time

Ralph
96 U270

Reply #4
Have you tried bleeding the injectors?
Bleeding the injectors will remove any air in the injector fuel lines
Slowly loosen the injector fuel line at the injector. If fuel squirts around the nut, fuel is reaching the injector. Careful the fuel pressure is (should be) Very high. Bleeding the injectors does not tell us if the injectors are working or if the injector pump is providing sufficient pressure.

If the engine stars celebrate.

If not: Remove the injectors and reattach the fuel line in such that the injector nozzles are visible. Crank the engine and look for a nice cone shaped spray pattern without drips. If this is what you see your problem is not fuel. Check compression, fuel pump pressure and timing, valve timing (top dead center), do the valves open and close?, and valve adjustment.

I have attached a manual.
 Tim
https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/downloads/Generator/Isuzu%203LD1%20Engine%20Manual%20Submitted%20by%20Alan%20Fink.pdf
Tim Dianics
Pam Sapienza
Vader PupZilla Labrador Canine (AKA Pup)
Columbia, MO
1996 U320 4000

Reply #5
To add to above,how much fuel is in fuel tank,there is a pipe in the tank for gen fuel so the tank does not run empty on the gen.,
that may be causing the air in line.If you can put a gauge on the output of the fuel pump,we just had a problem with a member who thought he had enough fuel but he needed a new engine fuel pump.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #6
Thanks guys!

Yes, we have 12V to each glow plug
We do have a small amount of fuel squirting out of the injector
The fuel tank is well over half full

I will try cracking the injector nut today to bleed the lines and report back.
Zack & Ginny Methvin
1998 U270 36' WTFE
Build# 5242 (E-25 code)
FMCA# 548390
Longview, Texas

Reply #7
Will look at mine but you should have an inline mesh filter before the fuel pump that you can clean,you mentioned fuel solnoid
but what about the fuel pump,there are a few posts from long ago about replacing it.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #8
How about the inexpensive round 12volt fuel pump mounted on center front of gen mounting sliding tray?  This is just a gasoline pump.

Reply #9
How about the inexpensive round 12volt fuel pump mounted on center front of gen mounting sliding tray?  This is just a gasoline pump.

Hi Barry
We checked it, working ok. We are getting fuel to the injector pumps, just no fuel coming out of them. Although mine seems to be working, I am going to go ahead and replace the fuel shutoff solenoid to see if that makes any difference. Otherwise, we will have to pull the injector pumps.
Thanks
Zack & Ginny Methvin
1998 U270 36' WTFE
Build# 5242 (E-25 code)
FMCA# 548390
Longview, Texas

Reply #10
Any smoke coming from exhaust while cranking?
1999 36 ft U270
Build 5465

Reply #12
Are you are saying you have no fuel coming out of the injector lines when cranking over the engine.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #13
Are you are saying you have no fuel coming out of the injector lines when cranking over the engine.

Correct
Zack & Ginny Methvin
1998 U270 36' WTFE
Build# 5242 (E-25 code)
FMCA# 548390
Longview, Texas

Reply #14
sounds like a failed fuel shut off valve on the injector pump. I carry a spare for our Kubota.

Justin & Cathy Byrd
1995 U280 "Old Faithful"
36' Build #4673
C8.3 Cummins
Allison MD3060R 6 speed - retarder
Powertech 10KW  4cyl Kubota

Reply #15
If you take the top off that 12 volt pump there is a screen in there.
John Duld
1995 U320C SE 40'

Reply #16
You may be getting fuel to the pumps from gravity,check the fuel pump and solnoid again,no way all 3 pumps are not working at the same time,the injectors need some pressure to open and squirt fuel. Is there a way to hold the solenoid valve open?
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #17
His fuel pump is the new style that is sealed. No way to take apart. His pre filter is one off an late 70's model Ford carb. and is new.

The reason that all 3 injector pumps are not pumping is they are tied together on the same shut off rail. The shut off solenoid moves this rail for all 3 pumps at one time. The result is if one pump is stuck it will effect all 3 pumps. The pumps run on a cam shaft a lot like a valve lifter causing the pump to work. I have had the Solenoid off and the rail won't move when the starter is engaged. If we pull one pump at the time and give it a try we may be able to find the one pump that needs attention. We plan on doing this after I get back from to town unless Zack jumps on it this week.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #18
It sounds like a fuel issue for sure, but has anyone mentioned or checked the air filter?  No air, no start and I have seen these plugged, especially if you had the old insulation and it was falling off the sides of the case and getting sucked into the air filter!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #19
Call Jeff at power tech,run the problem by him.How many hours on the engine,that's the first thing he will ask you. You still don't know if it's getting the correct/enough fuel pressure.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #20
Thanks everyone, I will call Jeff this week to see if he might have an idea. I think like Mike has suggested, at this point, something inside the injector pump rail must be messed up. We've tried most everything else and still no fuel coming from the injector pumps.

Zack & Ginny Methvin
1998 U270 36' WTFE
Build# 5242 (E-25 code)
FMCA# 548390
Longview, Texas

Reply #21
The pump is getting good fuel supply pressure, and has no output to the injectors. Mike is going the correct direction on the problem.
1998 36' U295 Mechanical 8.3

Reply #22
From looking at your picture it looks like the side cover of the injector pumps has been removed
at sometime.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #23
From looking at your picture it looks like the side cover of the injector pumps has been removed
at sometime.

Yes, Mike pulled it to inspect the inside. Everything looked clean.
Zack & Ginny Methvin
1998 U270 36' WTFE
Build# 5242 (E-25 code)
FMCA# 548390
Longview, Texas

Reply #24
The pump is getting good fuel supply pressure, and has no output to the injectors. Mike is going the correct direction on the problem.
Thanks Wayne.
Zack & Ginny Methvin
1998 U270 36' WTFE
Build# 5242 (E-25 code)
FMCA# 548390
Longview, Texas